Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jane Austen Ball



February means time for BYU women's preference dances. I invited Nick to go with me by printing out an invitation on beautiful shiny red paper and sealed it with wax. I ding-dong ditched it at his door and ran for my life. He responded the next day by dropping a big ball or yarn with a note attached which said: "The Answer You Seek Lies Inside." So I spent the next 10 minutes unwrapping the yarn ball to find a big "YES!" inside the yarn. It was really cute and it was fun to be able to do that again like in high school. We attended with my roommates from last year Caitlin and Johanna and their apartment.


They had it at a huge place right by Utah Lake that is some sort of golf course house. There were about 200 couples that attended, and we had a dinner of barbecue chicken, salad, rolls, potatoes, and cheesecake! Then we went upstairs and had learned to dance in the Jane Austen/Regency Era. I taught Nick to Foxtrot and Waltz because I knew how from my dance 180 class last semester. We also learned one of the dances that they showed on Pride and Prejudice during the first party they go to. We also danced the Cumberland Square and the Virginia Reel. Nick and I tried to dress to the time period, so I wore a dress I found at DI that was empire waist and wore pearls and a ribbon around my waist just like the time period (which I looked up on the internet. Nick tucked his pants into brown boots so they looked like knickers and he popped his collar and did a cravat knot around his neck. We were the only ones in our group that dressed to the period, but some people at the dance went all out and it was really neat. We had such an amazing time and it was neat to be able to dance real dances instead of just the freestyle dances we usually go to. At the end of the night we also got to go on a real live carriage ride. It was fun, but it sure smelled nasty!

3 comments:

  1. You are SO CUTE!! What a fun night. And I love your comments on my movie list-you are funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys look so cute! you forgot to mention he wore your boots ;) hehe- that's my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie you're so cute! I love this. And your background is super cute. Also I think it's magic cause I swear it's different every time I look at your blog haha. Love love love you

    ReplyDelete